Friday, April 27, 2012

Unfashion a Day, Week 16

Monday
The Recital Look

Immediately after bidding on these black velvet pants, I regretted it. Meaning, of course, I won them. Seriously, who can wear velvet pants to anything but a piano recital and get away with it? I at least tried, pairing them with one of my dressiest tops so they wouldn't seem too out of place. It may have been overkill for a Monday at the office, but at least I finally have black pants long enough to wear with high heels—which is the best way to wear black pants!

Tuesday
Suffering to Be Beautiful

I haven't gotten nearly enough wear out of these "blush" shoes I'm sporting in the picture, so I chose Tuesday's outfit with them in mind. To be honest, there's not much in my wardrobe that looks good with off-pink shoes. I originally tried this outfit with a magenta blouse (at right), but it didn't really match the skirt, so I had to choose the almost-too-casual pink knit top instead.

Someone at the office commented on how pretty my shoes were, but little did she know that, at that moment, I felt like they were about to slice my Achilles tendon clean through. I've done my best to stretch them, but I think it may be time to say adieu to these cute, but hard-to-match and uncomfortable, shoes.

Wednesday
Hippie Cowgirl

I finally decided to join the teeming hordes of ladies who follow the trend of  tight pants under boots. To accomplish this, I first had to acquire some tight pants, which I found at Rugged Wearhouse for 7 dollars. They are actually boot cut, which, if you were not aware, is a cut designed to fit over boots, not tuck inside them, so I had to fold over the fabric inside the boots and let out the laces just a little. Fortunately, with lace-up boots, that is something you can do. On top, I wore a sheer, hippie/boho top that is not quite as trendy and not quite flattering either. All said, I don't think I'll be sporting this look much, if ever again. Though maybe I'll give it another shot when I get out my winter boots next year. That is, if it's still trendy.

Thursday
You Had to Buy the Green Pants, Didn't You?

Bored with black, brown, and khaki pants, I finally let my legwear follow in my shoes' footsteps and started supplementing the collection with more colors. I have learned two things from this endeavor: 1) I have to stop buying Old Navy pants in a size 6, because they run large, and 2) I have no butt. If you haven't guessed, the pants were a little too big for me. Some graceless alterations made them fit tolerably well, although they still look a little bulgy in the back. They were the perfect match to my zigzag striped shoes, but apparently finding a shirt to go with green pants is a bit more of a challenge. I went with plain old white.

Friday
Avant Good Gracious!

This marks the third time I've worn this pink dress, and I think that means I have to put it on the bench for a while, since it's kind of, in my opinion, unforgettable. However, wearing it gave me the opportunity to also wear my black knee socks with the pink band around the top, which I haven't been able to wear at all, since nothing else matches them! As I am sick to death of being cold (The weather has been such a tease this month), I wore a tight fitting black top underneath, which gave the dress a kind of weird, edgy look that I guess was OK to try once, but probably not all the time. However, my new (future) housemate complimented me on the outfit, so it must not have been too weird/edgy. On the other hand, she has orange dyed partially shaved hair and tattoos all up and down her arms, so her fashion sense may not mirror that of the general public.

2 comments: