Monday, October 16, 2017

Polka dots and pearls


My no-longer tiered dress, with its spaghetti straps, is not quite appropriate for the office when worn on its own. On the other hand, it's perfect for layering, and layering is perfect for fall.

Today I wore it with a white cardigan on top and white boots on the bottom (an easy way to color coordinate if I ever said so). I was only slightly disappointed to find out that the matching whites I'd picked out in the misty morning turned out not to match quite so well in natural lighting. Even after 5 years of ownership, this sweater is still the whitest of whites, but the boots are yellowing, and showing their age in all sorts of other ways—I fear they are not long for this world!

But one thing in my outfit that's brand spanking new is the earrings! I saw earrings like this on eBay a few months ago. I naturally liked the long dangling chain, and I thought it was cool the way the chain hung from the back of the ear instead of the front. I'm sure they were under 3 dollars, but I decided I would make my own for free! I recently disassembled a long faux-pearl necklace, leaving me with dozens of loose pearls to work with. So I took one of those and a few scraps of salvaged silver chain, attaching them together with a loop-bottom silver pin through the pearl. I used an existing pearl stud for the front, and a jump ring to put the stud pin through. 
 
 
When held together with a standard earring back, the whole assembly is a subtly unconventional way to wear pearls!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment