Saturday, January 2, 2021

2020 Hindsight

At the beginning of every year, I reflect back on the previous one and the sartorial styling that gave it flavor. Last year gave me more time than ever for reflection, but fewer actual resultant observations.

During the Great Quarantine of 2020, while the wheels of fashion still kept turning (as evidenced by the continued existence of fashion publications and the #OOTD hashtag), I hopped off the ride. I paid only passing attention to the articles telling me what to stock up on for next season; I certainly didn't get to observe any other fashionistas in real life!

So the pickings are slim, but I'll do what I can to report on a trend or two before returning to my cozy and carefree existence where leggings really are pants.

Sweatpants


Speaking of pants, let's start this post off with something you all knew was coming—sweatpants! The darling of athleisure that translated all too easily into stay-at-home everything, sweatpants were the topic of every Zoom joke that wasn't about putting wine in your coffee mug. For me (and presumably for many others), these cozy pants were not just a trend but a necessity, as a COVID winter loomed. I went all-in on sweatpants in the fall, buying as many bargain pairs as I could get my thrifty hands on (it ended up being 3), and even making a token effort at staying relevant by converting a straight-leg pair into the slouchy cuffed type.

Ultra-cropped tops


The other trend I noted in my sweatpants post was this specific type of very short, very baggy shirt. It seems impractical to me in a thermoregulatory sense, but it seemed almost mandatory to pair little cropped sweatshirts with your big baggy sweatpants, as long as you were young and/or in possession of abs of steel. I am neither (and rather committed to keeping my midriff warm!) so I am happily letting this trend pass me by.

Cardigans


I suppose in a year where everyone seeks out the comfy and cozy, a topper that reminds you of your grandmother makes perfect sense! To be honest, though, the short, large-button cardigan is the first trend I noticed this year, way before coronavirus was even a gleam in the CDC's eye. It has popped up pretty consistently in my halfhearted fashion scrolling, and cardigans are one of the specific items that my local consignment shop was requesting this winter. If I were ever to seek a sign to let me know what's trendy, it would be whatever the professional buyers are trying to obtain. Cardigans it is!

Boots with lug soles (and knee high shafts)


I always put a shoe trend on my list, but to be honest, I've hardly paid attention to shoes at all this year, since the only ones I can wear are soft flat ones for walking quietly on my hardwood floors and biking to the grocery store. I've totally let practicality supersede trendiness in my recent shoe shopping. But there's one thing I couldn't help but notice every time I read a missive from my Internet fashion advisors. It's the lug-sole boot. Although my sample pictures are exclusively of the above-the-ankle variety, I've been told that knee-high boots are coming back. After years of learning to loathe thigh-high boots (they always slide down!) and reluctant adoption of ankle boots, I'm excited for the return of knee-highs—my first boot love. Of course, time will tell if it really becomes a trend, but here's hoping anyway!
 

Predictions

Speaking of hoping, it's time to talk predictions. My forecasting game was way off last year – I haven't seen even a hint of lace gloves! Seeing as I was such a poor guesser for 2020, I hesitate to imagine what 2021 will bring, but yes, I'm going to make the attempt anyway.

Assuming we beat the coronavirus and can start strutting our stuff before the year's too far gone, I'm banking on a flood of maximalism. After a year of being confined to our homes, choosing comfort over fashion, and few opportunities for dressing to impress even if we were so inclined, I think we're all going to want to cut loose! Bring on the sequins! The sparkle! Every impractical but oh-so-interesting statement garment we've stuffed into the backs of our closets and are now going to wear all at once! If this vision comes true, I can't wait to see what it looks like!

No comments:

Post a Comment