Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Unsure Dress



Since I dyed my hair bright yellow & orange last week, I've been religiously coordinating my clothes to my locks. I've worn my hair with a matching yellow sweater, an orange daisy sweater (to much amusement by everyone who noticed the color scheme), and a rainbow striped top. I'm surprised at how much of my clothing actually looks pretty decent with this Technicolor dye job, but I'm beginning to run out of options that include one or both of the hair colors. However, there's still one thing in my wardrobe that does, and is also new, unworn, and therefore exciting! It's this shirt dress.

In all the years I've been fashion blogging, I've never once blogged a shirtdress. There was this one red thing I called a shirt dress back in 2012, but I don't think that really counts since it doesn't button up. It's a polo-shirt-dress at best! So I've never blogged a shirt dress...I've never really even worn one!

I can't say I've avoided them for all this time; I just haven't had much interest in them. The baggy-on-top-but-cinched-at-the-waist (more concisely described as "blouson") look isn't really my thing; and button-down shirts have an air of stuffy uniformity that does nothing for me.

But what kind of Unfashionista would I be if I never even dabbled in this very classic style of garment? And what kind of Unfashionista wouldn't want her first experience with a new style to be one couched in lots of whimsical ornamentation? So of course, no one should be surprised that my very first real shirtdress ended up being a slightly shimmery silky one with a smattering of colorful, fluffy-looking flowers. These features alone would probably not have been enough to sell me, except that one of the flowers in the design happened to look (intentionally or not) just a little like a tiny round yellow baby chick! Too cute! 
 
 
The price was right at only $3.90 (thanks, Swap.com!), so I went for it!

I'm still not certain about shirtdresses. Though this one doesn't make me look as bulky and shapeless as I had feared, the flipside is it strains across the shoulders and rides up when I move my arms. It wasn't warm enough to wear without leggings, but of course that made the material cling to my thighs all day. And it sprouted wrinkles over the course of the morning, from nothing more than draping across my lap.

Altogether, I'd say that this particular shirtdress is a little too high-maintenance for my taste, but I guess if I can find another one in a stretch knit, I may give the style a second chance.

2 comments:

  1. It's cute but honestly I would cut it down to tunic length & pair it with a pencil skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right; I'm sure this dress would get more use as a tunic.

      Delete