Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Double Dots



I have grown a little disillusioned with my white polka-dotted dress. Both times I've worn it, I've had to wear leggings underneath because it's so short, and even then, the silhouette's been a little awkward. I think I'm going to cut it down into a more appropriate length for a shirt or tunic, but in the meantime, I found a way to wear it as it is—tuck it into a skirt!

This ragged hem black skirt has served me well over the years, but possibly never better than this time, when the polka-dotted underlayer finally got to be an asset rather than a liability. You see, polka dots on top combined with inversely colored, smaller polka dots on bottom has to be one of the cleverest fashion tricks in the book.

Another clever trick? Pinning the skirt to the dress. 

Hold it.

If you, like me, shy away from tucked-in shirts because they're always getting baggy or coming out completely whenever you move your arms, try using safety pins in a few strategic locations to keep them fixed to the inner waistband of your skirt. Note that this doesn't work with pants, unless you want to be unpinning and re-pinning them every time you go to the bathroom.

With all the black and white going on, I really burned with the desire to inject some color into my outfit. Usually I'd do this with jewelry, but in all my experiences with the dress, the polka dots totally drown out any kind of delicate necklace. The only necklace I had that was up to the challenge was this black one. Alas. At least I worked in some arbitrary color with the purple boots (first wear!), hair clip, and similarly colored earrings.

No comments:

Post a Comment