Thursday, February 7, 2019

(Ti)red and (Bo)red


The only reason I'm posting today's outfit is because it showcases a moderately interesting tailoring technique I'd like to share (oh, and also those new granny shoes I'm so inexplicably proud of).

The tailoring technique can be covered in a brief paragraph.

See, when I got the dress, it was too loose, and the saggy detailing around the waistband made it look extra-frumpy. If I wanted to actually resize that waistband to fit, I would have had to unstitch a lot of layers and recreate a lot of complicated twists and gathers, and I just didn't feel up to it. Instead, I took the lazy way out, making it tighter in the back, out of sight. I stretched a piece of elastic across the seam in the back, sewed it down, and voila! I had a fitted waist!


Now let's stop talking about this boring outfit. It is so deadly dull. I am so done with red!

Ever since the influx of red hit my wardrobe back in fall of 2016, I haven't really been able to shake it.

I rarely blog outfits featuring the color (maybe because I find it so boring), but lately it seems like a disproportionately large number of my clothes contain it.

I somehow have become the owner of four pairs of red tall boots, two pairs of red ankle boots, two pairs of red flats, and one pair of red pumps. I have three pairs of red pants and two red cardigans. Surprisingly, I've got only one red pullover, but four of my winter dresses are either red or red-accented, and three of my skirts. Enough al"red"y! I don't even like red that much!

I can't figure out why I have so much red stuff when I'm not really drawn to it, but I guess it's just a matter of availability. When you do all your shopping secondhand, and you find a garment you like, you don't get to choose what color it is. It comes in the color it comes in, and that's that. So when I needed some new long-sleeved dresses this fall, somehow the only ones that suited my requirements for length and features were all predominantly red. When I wanted some colorful pants to add variety to my collection, somehow the only options were red. Even when buying new, as I often do for shoes, I have found that the most plentiful non-neutral color out there is almost always red (for example, on ShoeDazzle, I found 54 styles of red boots, but only 5 each of green and purple).

Two days ago, when I was planning my outfit and realized that literally every single unworn thing I could choose from was red, all of a sudden, I couldn't take it any more (that was the moment I mentioned I "finally snapped.") I was sick to death of red. Once, in the past, I had to make a conscious effort to stop buying everything in green. Now I think I'm going to have to declare a moratorium on red.

Red, you're dead!

No comments:

Post a Comment