Saturday, February 13, 2021

10 years going on 11

 
I started this blog in 2010, which means I've been an Unfashion blogger for over 10 years (and a few months)!

I wish I'd noticed that auspicious anniversary before it passed, but let's face it: I've basically been living in my own little world since COVID, and my blog's birthday wasn't at the top of my mind. But eleven is my favorite number, so why not make a big deal out of that, and treat my eleventh year with as much pomp as is usually devoted to Year 10?

Since I haven't had, don't have, and probably won't have for a while, many blogworthy outfits to post, this seems like a great year to get all retrospective and talk about those sappy things people like to bring up when marking significant moments in the passage of time.

Things like, what's changed? How have I grown? What lessons have I learned? What funny embarrassments have I racked up along the way?

Well, I certainly haven't grown my blog from a rinky-dink affair on a free website to a media juggernaut with millions in yearly revenue, and I still can count my followers on one hand with a couple missing fingers, so in that sense, I haven't changed at all.

I did grow my salary some, and with it, my clothes-storage capability. I now have a house with 2 rooms to call my own, and I keep garments in 4 closets instead of just 2...so that has been a boon for my blog, I'm sure.

If I've learned any lessons, well, it's that people don't come to a fashion blog to read my purple prose; they do it for the pictures! But nevertheless, I persist. In fact, I persist so hard, I'm going to turn this sentimental anniversary article into a the kind of literary juggernaut I only wish my blogging career could be—post upon wordy post, chock full of musings, anecdotes, navel-gazing, and maybe even a token attempt or two at putting in some pictures!

One of my goals for this anniversary celebration is to take a closer look at how things have evolved over the past decade+, so I'm going way deep into the archives! That's where I need your help—that's right, you! For this segment (which I'm tentatively calling "Would I Wear It?"), I need my dearest readers (if I still have any) to help me choose a few past outfits to critique and cringe at.

So if you want to play, just peruse my previous posts (here's a neat way to view just the main pictures) and comment here with the link to any outfit that you'd like me to revisit. Since oldies are goodies, we're going to focus on the first 5 years of this blog. That would be 2010 to 2014, but since 2010 was pretty sparse and we seem to be doing a baker's-dozen kind of thing with numbers in this story, I'll throw in 2015 as well! The object is to observe how my personal style has changed along with the world I live in, but the bonus is that I'm sure there will be plenty of answers to the final sappy question above. Funny embarrassments, here we come!

2 comments:

  1. I have no comment on the early fashions, but I am a lover of your more recent posts with matching hair color and outfits :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope to do more fun hair colors again soon!

      Delete