Thursday, October 18, 2018

How to wear summer boots (in fall!)


 
First off: what are summer boots? I wouldn't be shocked if you haven't heard of them. I have only seen them one place: on eBay, where I bought mine.

The boots in question were crocheted calf-high boots, with wide shafts and lots of holes for breathability. I hesitated to buy them for a long time—could I trust shoes from a Chinese seller? did I really need summer boots? Did I really need to spend so much on summer boots? And if I bought them, what color should I buy? There were so many options, I felt paralyzed by choice! I waited at least a year before purchasing, and what finally swayed me was a discount if I bought two pairs. So I did, at $15.10 each—one purple, because I was still looking for purple sandals, and one pastel pink.

I wore each pair one time during the summer – I was holding them back for truly worthy outfits – and each time, something prevented me from photographing the outfit, worthy though it might have been. When the weather turned cold last Friday, I thought that was it for my summer boots.

But then I thought again. A boot is a boot, and the only difference between summer boots and the boots that make fall bearable is the amount of holes in them. Summer boots become fall boots when you insulate them with a pair of socks!

My crocheted boots have opaque linings at the toe and heel to help them keep their shape. The purple ones are lined with black, so I wore black socks underneath, which possibly made them look better than they ever did when I wore them unlined! Score! I now foresee all kinds of possibilities for these formerly one-season shoes. I can't wait to try them with skinny jeans!

But that will have to be another day. For their first autumn outing, I went as summery as possible with a short skirt, a light beige tee, and a pink and white striped cardigan. I vowed that since I'd missed my last two opportunities to blog about my summer boots, I'd do it today, even though it's not summer any more. So here you go!

No comments:

Post a Comment