Friday, October 5, 2018

The big bang



I found this star-spangled dress at my last thrift store run. It was around 3 dollars after a 50% discount, and it was right up my star-loving alley! Unfortunately, when I tried it on in the store, I tried it over my pants, and thus did not get an adequate picture of just how tight and revealing it would be in real life.

When I went to wear it for the first time, I was dismayed to find that it clung to my butt and thighs with a level of tenacity entirely unbecoming to a professional woman on the job.

The good thing about this dress was that it was a wrap dress, which meant it had an entire layer of fabric hidden from view, which I could use to expand the tight parts.

I cut into the inner layer, repositioned the outer layer, and added about 1.5 inches to the total girth where it was clinging the most. Pictures, unfortunately, completely fail to convey the steps I took to fix the fit of this dress, so you'll just have to trust me that it looked worse before, and I fixed it!
 
It's still very thin, and I have to wear a slip underneath to keep my undies from showing, but I no longer feel indecent wearing it to work!

I saved the dress for a Friday Funday—when you want the week to go out with a bang, what's a bigger bang than The Big One? (i.e. the birth of the universe, i.e. the origin of stars, in case the connection wasn't clear!) To make the biggest bang possible, I wore mirrored boots. I have acquired loads of star-themed jewelry over the past few months, so I had my pick of necklaces and earrings. I decided to mix metals and wear a gold necklace to contrast with all the silver in the rest of the outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment