Monday, October 28, 2019

Special occasions are for suckers


If I've learned one thing from years of buying fanciful fashion, it's that if you wait for just the right occasion to wear a special something, you'll end up waiting for far too long. I'd be lying if I said that I've weaned myself off that procrastinatory habit, but I am making a more conscious effort to wear my new stuff while it's still new.

Case in point: this year's Birthday Shoes, which (in stark contrast to the sandals that sat around for over a year before I wore them) have only been in my possession for slightly under 2 months—a record low for a pair of Birthday Shoes!

Despite their rapid integration into regular wear, these booties have a long history. I first noticed them on eBay at least 3 years ago, falling in love with their subtle gold sheen and architectural Lucite wedge, but there were other shoes that were more important to acquire. I waited and waited, hoping I might find a pair in my regular price range, but I never did. When I finally pulled the trigger on August 8th this year, I paid $61.91. They were still a record low price for Birthday Shoes, and just as well, because they're also the most disappointing.

The picture that made me buy them
From the pictures online, I believed the shoes I was buying would be an ever-so-slightly metallic gold; the shoes I received were a muted harvest gold. There was nothing remotely metallic about them. They look much better in my photos than they do in real life.
 
They're okay, I guess, but not the fab party boots that I'd been envisioning when I blew my Birthday Shoe budget on them. Oh well, don't expect good quality, consistent sizing, or believable imagery when you buy direct from China! Live and learn! Or don't, as this is not the first (or second, or third) time I've made this mistake and vowed not to repeat it!

Well, since I'd already proved myself a sucker for breaking my trade embargo with China and living to regret it, I certainly wasn't about to make things worse by waiting around interminably for a special occasion. I wore those boots as soon as the weather got cool enough, on an entirely ordinary Wednesday at work. 
 
 
The only thing special about this occasion was that I finally got to unburden myself of the sadness I feel at getting a subpar Birthday Shoe for the second year running.

No comments:

Post a Comment