Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Theme from a summer

 
As the second half of August drifts away from me, my mind begins to turn to the sad matter of summer's demise. I mourned the end of summer for over a month last year, so chances are good that I'll still see my fair share of hot days before winter. But that can't stop me from getting a little sentimental...looking over the glorious days of this past season, reliving the good times, and reflecting on the themes.

Pretty much every year, I notice a theme or two that dominates my clothing—I've gone on suit sprees, binged on blazers, and harbored an (ongoing) obsession with wide-legged pants.

This summer, while I haven't consciously thought much about it, I gravitated to a style which basically became my go-to work outfit for the season: a flared skirt, a slim-fitting sleeveless top, and some dressy sandals. I could always count on this look when I was busy and/or tired and didn't want to put a lot of effort into outfit planning. The funny thing is, I wore this style so often that it basically became a uniform, and I took it so much for granted that even though I wore it multiple times a week, I never really pictured it in my blog...though I guess Slow Burn and Pink Lemonade count, as well as the outfit I wore with my purple sandals, which I deemed so unimportant I didn't even photograph it until after I'd taken it off.

In today's iteration, I'm wearing a never-worn A-line skirt with a huge floral print and a ruffled hem. The top is the always-useful salmon tank I've had since last year. The sandals are a green pair you first saw in July. The necklace, as you can see, lasted half the day before it became half of itself.


 I'm pretty pleased with the perfect color match between the top and the dress, but other than that, I wouldn't have considered it blog-worthy if I hadn't realized its value as a case study in my Summer 2018 Uniform. So here it is, for old times' sake, before Summer 2018 is but a bittersweet memory.
 
I think I see winter coming...

No comments:

Post a Comment