Friday, April 20, 2012

Unfashion A Day, Week 15

With forecast highs in the sixties every day this week, I officially put away my winter clothes and got out the summer ones. Technically I should have waited until the actual highs were in the sixties, but I was just tired of waiting! That means the clock restarts here. Although there are officially 4 weeks left of it, this challenge is all but won. I have a whole summer wardrobe to work through, which includes 21 never-worn shirts, 13 of which I would consider workplace attire. But a promise is a promise. I will continue to inundate you with weekly posts until May 18, upon which I will be certain to take a break.

Monday
Go Dolphins!

When I came to work wearing this turquoise top and orange-and-turquoise shirt, my coworker thanked me for representing the Miami Dolphins. That was not my intent, but hey, whatever it takes to get people interested in fashion! I don't think I'll sport this particular combo again, because the shade of the shirt kind of clashes with the shade of the skirt. And the white shoes I wore have reached the point of being mistaken for grey.

Tuesday
Business on Top, Disco on the Bottom

I'm getting better at layering, and I'm beginning to appreciate the value of adding interest to a monochromatic shirt by adding more clothes under it, but I still prefer the easy, one-step process of putting on a single shirt. That's why I love the layered-look shirts that are one piece designed to look like two. When I first saw them back in the early 2000's, I thought they were pointless, but laziness and higher fashion standards have won me over. This one is especially cute because the plaid fabric peeking out the bottom is all frilled and skirt-like! I wore it with white pants and, yes, white disco shoes (in the photo, for some reason, I am not wearing any shoes). The disco shoes gave me a humongous blister and I don't even like the way they look, so this is probably the first and last time I'll wear them.

Wednesday
Good Thing It Was Cold Out

A week ago, I went to a winter blow out sale at my favorite thrift stores. All winter clothes were 50% off. Of course, by the time I got there, slim pickings were all that were left, but I was able to score this nifty sweater set. I thought I was going to have to wait till next fall to wear it, but fate and the weather were on my side, and Wednesday came up dreary and cold. I thought about wearing this with a brown skirt or pants, but decided that would be too brown, and anyway, all the browns were slightly mismatched. I did, however, wear brown shoes. Considering the agony of my blister, it was the perfect day to wear backless clogs.

Thursday
Colorific

You've seen this dress before; I wore it in February with my souped up socks. Its greatest feature is its abundance of beautiful, saturated greens, blues, and purples. The little purple bows on my socks in that outfit kind of complemented the effect, but this time I took it even further and wore it with some neon green shoes. I guess it was a good choice, because a coworker complimented me on my "shoes and pedicure." (I'm wearing yellow toenail polish.) I guess this outfit would have been a perfect 10 if the heels were black instead of brown, but we can't win 'em all.

Friday
Triumph of the Underdogs

This is an interesting sweater. I never would have tried it on in a store because elbow-length sleeves usually look bad on me, but since it came to me via eBay lot, I gave it a fighting chance. And maybe it's because of the unusually fluttery nature of these particular sleeves...or maybe it's the empire waist or the low hemline, but it looked just fine. The necklace is one that I got a while ago in a big collection of jewelry. My first instinct was to get rid of it, since it was made of lumpy beads of polymer clay in dull colors, meant to look like rocks, and it struck me as both dull and tacky. But after finding it recently in my pile of Stuff to Sell, I decided to give it a fighting chance as well. I ended up liking the effect! Just a note: I switched the shoes for my clogs before leaving, because my blister was still tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment